Check out these five healthy habits Dr. Rimes and the staff at Stuart Rimes, DDS, MS in Sugar Land recommend to keep your teeth healthy and beautiful in 2018.
- Get a new toothbrush – Did you know dentists recommend a new toothbrush every three to four months? If you see frayed bristles, it’s time to throw it out!
- Brush gently – never brush too hard or you can damage delicate gum tissue. Soft bristles are always a safe bet, but ask your doctor what is best for your mouth. Look for one with the American Dental Association seal.
- Brush for a full two minutes – This is important. Don’t rush the brush! You want to get every nook and cranny, so take your time. Better yet, we recommend an electric toothbrush. They are more gentle to the gums, and on most models, there is a 2 minute timer that helps you regulate your time. You still need to replace the brush-heads like you would a manual toothbrush, but usually it is a more effective cleaning method than the manual brushes. Oral-B and Sonicare are two brands that we recommend here in our office.
- Floss – You don’t have to floss all your teeth – just the ones you want to keep! Cleaning between your teeth helps remove plaque, which causes cavities and gum disease. Plaque contains bacteria that feeds on leftover food or sugar in your mouth and eats away at the enamel of your teeth.
- Visit your dentist twice a year – The American Dental Association recommends a visit to your dentist every six months to keep your teeth looking beautiful and in top condition. Regular visits ensure that you will catch any potential issues as soon as they arise. How long has it been since your last appointment? Call Dr. Rimes’ office at 281-313-1565 and schedule a visit today.